Group Fitness Instructor
COURSE NAME: Group Exercise Instructor
QUALIFICATION OUTCOME: Certificate III in Fitness (SIS30313)
STUDY MODE: On campus
The Group Exercise Instructor course will enable students to teach a range of group classes, from athletic to choreographed.
Key learning modules include exercise selection, the incorporation of music and equipment , plus relevant teaching methodologies. On completion, students will have the confidence to teach and lead group classes, as well as effectively manage different personalities in their class.
This course can be taken as a Certificate III in Fitness as a Group Exercise Instructor, added to the Master Trainer program as a specialisation, or taken as a standalone program for those who already hold a recognised fitness qualification.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Those with a passion for training a group, either athletic or choreographed
- Those with a desire to add variety and an additional income stream to their role as a Personal Trainer or Fitness Instructor
- Those with a natural flair for energising and motivating others
- Those with a talent and/or experience working with groups or considered a natural teacher
- Those with an interest in music and movement
WHY SHOULD I DO THE COURSE?
Group fitness is experiencing impressive growth with an array of group training opportunities provided by the fitness industry. In 2013, many clubs specifically added a group training area to the gym floor, as well as scheduled 30-minute classes. Likewise, some clubs are taking the step to operate as a group training venue, rather than the more traditional gym-equipment set-up.
The Institute’s Group Training Coaches are a select group of fitness professionals who are passionate about group training and have many years’ experience teaching a range of class styles.
Their aim is to develop your skills quickly and effectively, and set you up for success. And when you add to this their ‘larger than life’ approach to fitness, you can expect to feel energised and inspired to be the best instructor you can be.
To be eligible for this course, students must have an interest in fitness, be over 16 years old and meet the Institute’s acceptance criteria.
TRAINING AND ASSESSMENT
Sessions are delivered on weekends with a range of take-home assessment tasks to complete. The course culminates in a practical assessment which showcases the students' skills.
AREAS COVERED IN THE COURSE
- Different group exercise classes/group training workouts
- Mechanics of music and how to apply it to group training
- Exercise selection, instruction and multi-level teaching
- Safety in groups
- Teaching skills, such as voice projection and positioning
- Methods of creating choreography and athletic drills
- Systemised instructional techniques
- How to design, prepare and deliver a class/workout
- Screening groups
- Motivation and group dynamics
- Using equipment in classes, such as plates, steps and mats
- How to acquire classes as a new instructor
UNITS OF COMPETENCY
|Core (10 units of competency)|
|SISFFIT301A||Provide fitness orientation and health screening||Fitness|
|SISFFIT302A||Provide quality service in the fitness industry||Fitness|
|SISFFIT303A||Develop and apply an awareness of specific populations to exercise delivery||Fitness|
|SISFFIT305A||Apply anatomy and physiology principles in a fitness context||Fitness|
|SISFFIT306A||Provide healthy eating information to clients in accordance with recommended guidelines||Fitness|
|SISXFAC207||Maintain sport, fitness and recreation equipment for activities||Fitness|
|SISXIND101A||Work effectively in sport and recreation environments||Fitness|
|SISXOHS101A||Follow occupational health and safety policies||Fitness|
|SISXRSK301A||Undertake risk analysis of activities||Fitness|
|HLTAID003*||Provide first aid||Fitness|
|Electives - General (2 units of competency)|
|SISFFIT311A||Deliver approved community fitness programs||Fitness|
|SISFFIT313A||Plan and deliver exercise to apparently healthy children and adolescents||Fitness|
|Electives - Specialisation: Group Exercise Instructor (3 units of competency)|
|SISFFIT304A||Instruct and monitor fitness programs||Fitness|
|SISFFIT309A||Plan and deliver group exercise sessions||Fitness|
*In accordance with the packaging rules for the Certificate III in Fitness, we issue the UOC HLTFA301C. Further to this, because we deliver training and assessment at the HLTFA311A level as well, you will also receive a Statement of Attainment for this higher First Aid UOC, HLTFA311A.