The Fitness Zone
Libby Babet and Jenna Douros are two Australian Institute of Fitness graduates to be reckoned with. Libby runs dual fitness business Agoga and BUF Fitness in Sydney whilst Jenna continues to grow her online fitness community for women community Lift Into Life and is the national ambassador for Gold's Gym.
With decades of fitness experience between them, these girls also know their way around a gym. In exchange for time in the kitchen with current fitness student and culinary superstar Hayden Quinn, Libby and Jenna took him through their own functional fitness workout in our campus gym.
A bit more challenging than a classic squat and press combination, try these moves for yourself for a workout that will challenge your endurance, strength and coordination.
Functional Fitness Workout
Bench Sit Ups
- Lie with your lower back on the floor and legs placed on a bench
- Starting with your hands above your head, reach your both hands to your knees as you sit up off the ground
- Crouch on your hands and toes and imagine your drawing your belly button to your spine to engage your core muscles
- Pivoting on the ball of one foot, thread the opposite leg across to its opposing side, keeping it parallel to the floor
- Repeat on the other side
Medicine Ball Mountain Climbers
- Assume a push up position with your hands on the ground and both feet on a medicine ball
- Bring one knee to your elbow and repeat on the alternate side, ensuring you keep your abs braced and chin tucked
Lateral Skater Leaps
- Begin with your feet shoulder width apart as if you were about to perform a squat
- Reach your right arm across to your left knee whilst simultaneously kicking your right leg behind the the other
- Repeat on the other side and alternate