You’re studying your HLT42015 Certificate IV in Massage Therapy or your HLT52015 Diploma of Remedial Massage because you want to help others through the power of massage. What if you could walk straight from your graduation ceremony into your new career?
What is AIF’s Massage F.I.R.E.?
F.I.R.E. stands for Fitness Industry Recruitment Expo, an AIF event that presents an unrivalled opportunity to network with key players in the fitness and wellness industry. The popularity of these events (originally catering to those studying Personal Training) prompted the AIF team to create a ‘Massage only’ version, catering to our massage-therapists-to-be, and known simply as ‘Massage F.I.R.E’!
These events are run several times each year at AIF campuses that offer massage and are hosted by our dedicated Career Scouts.
We work hard to bring together a range of our high calibre Career Partners for you to network with and establish some valuable industry connections. The event runs like an expo, with Career Partner stalls lined up around the room, allowing you to take centre stage and make your way around to each one.
Why attend our Massage F.I.R.E.?
The main purposes of attending Massage F.I.R.E. are to learn about all the career opportunities within your region, have your massage industry questions answered by professionals and make connections with potential future employers.
What do I talk to the Career Partners about?
Anything you like! Try to make a lasting impression by showing a bit of your personality; in the health and wellness industry having great people skills is crucial, so being your authentic self (with maybe a sprinkle of extra energy and enthusiasm) will get you far!
If you’re not an ‘off the cuff’ kind of person, try preparing some questions ahead of time, so you go into the event with a plan. Questions may include topics ranging from the nature of the clinic’s business model, facilities and hours available, to peak times, client base size and demographics. This is the perfect time to get any questions that have been rattling around your head answered!
Here are a few questions to get you started:
About the business
● What locations do you have?
● How long has your business been operating?
● What is your clientele like?
About the team
● What is the average pay rate for therapists at your facility?
● How many Massage Therapists do you currently have?
● Would you employ a therapist with a CIV in Massage?
● What would make someone a good cultural fit for your team?
About the role
● What does a typical day as a Massage Therapist look like in your clinic?
● How many clients would I see on an average day?
● How are clients booked at your clinic? Do I need to find my own clients?
● Can I massage clients outside of your business?
● What kind of employment structure do you have and what does this mean?
● What are the hours like/available at your clinic?
● What is the weekly rent?
About the benefits
● What support do I get to build my business with you?
● What support do I get in the start-up process in your clinic?
● What opportunities are there for growth, professional development and/or continuing education?
● Do I get paid holidays?
Our top tips to help you make a lasting impression at Massage F.I.R.E.
As mentioned above, have a think about what you’d like to know from a potential future employer and write down some questions. Try to memorise them though, because reading off a sheet of paper or from your phone is never a good look!
Wear your AIF uniform, with clean shoes and tidy hair, or, if you’re feeling fancy, pop on some corporate wear. Looking the part is super important when meeting potential future employers.
This may sound silly to some, but try not to get caught up in your head trying to impress and be someone you’re not – just smile, be confident and you’ll naturally connect with the Career Partners who are similar to you, or have businesses that align with your values.
Think of something creative that will make you stand out. At one event, a student brought along her CV with protein bars attached! Safe to say the Career Partners loved the addition of a tasty snack.
Now, it’s time to impress! If you’re keen to find out when the next Massage F.I.R.E. event in your region is, reach out to your Career Scout or contact firstname.lastname@example.org. See you there!