10 Running Tips For Beginners
Apr 25, 2022 | by AIF
Whether you’re training for your first marathon or simply want to incorporate a bit of running into your regular fitness regimen, here are some tips to help you make your run training more efficient and effective.
Let’s get straight into it!
- First and foremost, it’s important to remember that running performance is more mental than physical. Your mind will tell you to quit before your body will. You need to push through the pessimistic voice in your head and have faith that your body can do it!
- Set achievable and realistic goals and don’t force yourself into doing long runs straight away. Start off with small intervals including walking and fast-paced jogging, then work your way up to higher KMs.
- Don’t expect too much too soon! Good things take time. Investing in an activity tracker/ GPS watch (Apple Watch, Garmin, Fitbit, etc.) is a great way to track your sessions and self-monitor your progress.
- Recovery is just as important as the session itself. Respect your body’s needs and schedule in your rest days. You need adequate time for muscle repair and to restock energy stores. Without rest, you’ll lack energy for your next session and you can put yourself at risk of Injury. Check out our blog on common running injuries and how to fix them here.
- In terms of technique, relax your shoulders and chest, pump your arms at 90 degrees and push back with your elbows.
- Remember to breathe – slowly and controlled, in the nose and out the mouth.
- Keep a strong core and comfortable posture – this will allow for a powerful stride (AKA faster running), and it requires less energy.
- To increase motivation, use a guided running app or listen to your favourite tunes or an interesting podcast!
- Investing in a pair of good quality shoes is essential. Running shoes need to be properly fitted and should be replaced every 4-6 months, depending on the kilometres you clock up.
- Oh, and your stitch WILL go away, eventually. Just breathe deep and run through it!
Hopefully, these tips will help you in your running endeavours – good luck!
Interested in the differences between treadmill running VS outdoor running and which one is best for you? Read our blog on that here!
LOVE FITNESS? LOOKING TO GET QUALIFIED AS A PERSONAL TRAINER?
BE YOUR BEST, TRAIN WITH THE BEST. CHECK OUT AIF’S PERSONAL TRAINING COURSE OPTIONS BELOW.
Disclaimer: Where Certificate III in Fitness, Cert III/Cert 3, or Fitness Coach is mentioned, it refers to SIS30321 Certificate III in Fitness. Where Certificate IV in Fitness, Cert IV/Cert 4, or Personal Trainer is mentioned, it refers to SIS40221 Certificate IV in Fitness. Where Master Trainer Program™ is mentioned, it refers to Fitness Essentials and SIS40221 Certificate IV in Fitness. Where Master Trainer Plus+ Program™ is mentioned, it refers to SIS30321 Certificate III in Fitness and SIS40221 Certificate IV in Fitness. Where Certificate IV in Massage or Cert IV/Cert 4 is mentioned, it refers to HLT42021 Certificate IV in Massage Therapy. Where Diploma of Remedial Massage is mentioned, it refers to HLT52021 Diploma of Remedial Massage.