- Course Name
- Personal Trainer
- Qualification Outcome
- Certificate IV in Fitness (SIS40210
- Study Mode
- Online, on campus and blended
In The Institute's Personal Trainer course you'll learn how to tailor personal training programs for a range of clients, including older adults. Plus you’ll learn the importance of nutrition, and how to manage injuries and specific medical conditions.
The course will also teach you how to use a diverse range of personal training equipment, operate in different environments, and design training programs for one on one and group training, functional training.
In addition the program covers the fundamentals of marketing and operating a small fitness business successfully, but if you want the qualification employers look for, we recommend the Master Trainer program.
Who Should Attend?
- Those with a passion for helping others achieve their health and fitness goals
- Those with the drive to establish a career in the fitness industry
- Those with the aptitude/expertise in the area of fitness and exercise
Why Should I Do The Course?
With many Australians living longer than ever before, plus an increase in conditions such as diabetes and obesity, it’s clear there’s a growing need for health and fitness services.
Indeed, this is further supported by a recent study which indicated that 30% more people signed up with a Personal Trainer in 2013, compared to 2012 (ezidebit). While other research has shown that the personal training industry is growing 4.8% on average each year (IBISWorld).
Our Coaches have many years’ experience across a diverse range of fitness areas, including personal training for a variety of clients including mums, dads and kids, all the way through to working with corporate clients and elite sportspeople.
They are dedicated and passionate about the fitness industry, and as well as being industry qualified, many of them also present at national and international fitness conventions, and write for reputable fitness resources.
Get started today
Call now on 1300054618 or
"Watching someone transform their body, their mind and their fitness is the best gift in the world."
Institute graduate, Celebrity Personal Trainer and Wellness Coach
To be eligible for this course, students must hold a Certificate III in Fitness (SIS30313) or equivalent with supporting evidence, have a computer and internet access, be over 17 years old, and meet The Institute’s acceptance criteria, which includes an eligibility interview and demonstrating satisfactory levels of language, literacy and numeracy.
Training and Assessment
The Institute’s Personal Trainer course includes over 15 delivery sessions, with knowledge checks and assessment challenges. Training is delivered and assessed both on campus and online.
AREAS COVERED IN THIS COURSE
- The business of personal training
- Marketing and operating a small fitness business
- PT equipment and training modalities
- Designing short and long-term training programs
- Functional training and injury management
- Client assessment including posture and flexibility
- Advanced strength and conditioning techniques
- Nutrition for health and performance
- Training the older client
- People skills to facilitate goal-setting & behavioural change
- Medical conditions & liaising with Allied Health Practitioners
Units of Competency
Certificate IV in Fitness (SIS40210)*Print Table
|Competency Code||Competency Title||Training Package|
|Core (10 units of competency)|
|BSBSMB401A||Establish legal and risk management requirements of small business||Business Services|
|BSBSMB403A||Market the small business||Business Services|
|BSBSMB404A||Undertake small business planning||Business Services|
|SISFFIT415A||Work collaboratively with medical and allied health professionals||Fitness|
|SISFFIT416A||Apply motivational psychology to provide guidance on exercise behaviour and change to meet health and fitness goals||Fitness|
|SISFFIT417A||Undertake long-term exercise programming||Fitness|
|SISFFIT418A||Undertake appraisals of functional movement||Fitness|
|SISFFIT419A||Apply exercise science principles to planning exercise||Fitness|
|SISFFIT420A||Plan and deliver exercise programs to support desired body composition outcomes||Fitness|
|SISFFIT421A||Plan and deliver personal training||Fitness|
|Electives (5 units of competency)|
|SISFFIT314A||Plan and deliver exercise to older clients with managed conditions||Fitness|
|SISSSTC301A||Instruct strength and conditioning techniques||Fitness|
|SISSST402A||Develop strength and conditioning programs||Fitness|
|SISSSCO307||Provide nutrition information to athletes||Fitness|
|SISSSPT306A||Deal with medical conditions in a sport setting||Fitness|
* The Certificate IV in Fitness (SIS40210) qualification has been recently superseded and is currently being upgraded to a new qualification, Certificate IV in Fitness (SIS40215). These changes are part of the industry review and improvement cycle and affect all vocational education and training providers. Students will be informed upon enrolment if their course will be affected by the transition and advised of the qualification they may receive upon completion.